Thursday, August 10, 2006

The straight dope

Imagine if you will a press conference. Television cameras line the room, and photographers with still cameras are dotted here and there, all jockeying for the best position. Reporters, notebooks and tape recorders held at the ready the way an Old West gunfighter might clutch a Colt .45, sit in orderly rows, waiting for the action to begin.
A prominent athlete, his identity not important at this moment, approaches the podium. He speaks:
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming. I will make my comments brief.
There has been a lot of talk lately about drug use among professional athletes. Tour de France winner Floyd Landis, who clawed his way back into the tour and won the hearts of Americans desperate to hold onto the tour title in the post-Lance Armstrong era with an epic solo ride through the mountains was later found to have hormones more out of whack than an entire Spring Break’s worth of liquored-up frat boys.
Justin Gatlin, the Olympic champion and world record co-holder who can run 100 meters in faster than most Americans can get up from the couch has also been found to have unusual levels of testosterone in his system.
And for whatever reason a nation clamoring for answers continues to insist baseball star Barry Bonds’ gigantic party-balloon head is the result of something more sinister than a grossly overinflated ego.
Given these cases I want to take this opportunity to insist once again I have never taken banned substances to improve my athletic performance.
I see some of you have questions. I expected that. Please, though, let me finish and hopefully I will address most of what you want to ask.
First, there is the issue of my sudden weight gain. Yes, I am more muscular than I once was. I suppose three months is a quick span in which to add 115 pounds of muscle. But I promise you this weight gain is natural. I hit the gym three times a day to build this body. I am proud of the work I have done and to have you sitting out there at your press tables lined with donuts and hot dogs questioning my dedication to the sport I love offends me.
Also, while it is true doctors were recently unable to puncture my skin with a needle to draw blood I maintain this is due solely to a naturally callousey skin, not to the effects of any illicit substance.
Second, I’m sure many of you are curious about rumors I produced a blue sample during a recent surprise urine test. This is true, though I believe claims the vial could have lit Yankee Stadium are exaggerated. At most the glow from the sample was powerful enough to serve as a nightlight. Possibly a desk lamp.
Let me assure you, there is nothing unnatural about this sample. My nutritionist has simply had me on a food-coloring-heavy diet. Also, I really like blue raspberry freezie pops. That coloring simply worked its way into my system. It is all entirely natural.
There have also been some concerns about my recent behavior. I admit some of it has been unorthodox and there are incidents I am not proud of.
Yes, after a recent win I ripped the head off of the opponent’s mascot and screamed obscenities at the 16-year-old girl inside. I am embarrassed by my actions in that situation. It is 45 minutes of my life I wish I could have back. But I was excited. It was a big game and I lost control. I apologize, but I promise you I am in full control of my emotions.
Yes, I occasionally run, naked and screaming at the top of my lungs, through the streets of our fair city. Is there something unreasonable about this? Can a man not express himself in the way he sees fit? Shame on you for trying to cage my joy.
Finally, yes, I have recently grown this second head. Trust me, this is not as unusual as it seems. Second heads are currently all the rage in Europe. Soon people everywhere will be growing second and even third crania. Just you wait.
I hope I have answered these concerns to your satisfaction. I promise I will continue to defend myself against these unjust charges for as long as they are leveled against me. I only hope this media speculation does not do further harm to the sport I love so much, curling.

No comments: