Monday, July 03, 2006

Tall tales

I am six feet, six inches tall.
This is significantly taller than average.
I understand this.
There are certain advantages to being tall. I can usually reach things on the high shelves, for example. And I hardly ever have to worry about someone sitting in front of me in a movie theater.
There are also certain disadvantages. Like having to search the Twin Cities to find pants that fit. Or having to find a car with enough headroom. Or always having people ask me to get things off of high shelves for them.
Many tall people get asked by complete strangers if they play basketball. I used to get annoyed when this happened to me, but it seems to happen less often these days. Maybe it’s because I’m starting to look old enough that even if I had once played basketball bringing up the subject no would at best cause me to tell long-winded stories about the time I made the winning shot at the section tournament. Or maybe people have finally realized that typical basketball player has a physique that’s a little more Charles Atlas and a little less Charles Darwin. (I write this, obviously, assuming the man who popularized the theory of evolution is not particularly buff and that he couldn’t even dunk on a nine-foot rim. Although I hear he had a quick first step and a great crossover.)
Whatever reason, the basketball questions have for the most part gone by the wayside. In their place, however, is a conversational tactic that I find perhaps even more confounding. More and more, people I have just met feel the need to make conversation by explaining that they have a friend (or a relative or a dentist) who is also very tall.
I’m honestly not sure how I’m supposed to react. Should I feel better about myself if they know someone who is very tall but not quite as tall as me? Should I feel threatened if they know someone who is, say, six-eight? Should I simply feel better knowing I am not the only unusually tall person in the world? And if that’s the case are those comments really necessary considering the existence of the National Basketball Association?
Do people do this in other conversations? When they meet someone who is especially short, do they say, “Oh, I know a guy who’s a jockey”? When they meet someone who is heavyset do they say, “I know a guy who’s on a diet”? When they meet someone unattractive do they say, “I know former Minnesota Timberwolf Sam Cassell”?
Do people who tell me about their uncle with a glandular problem expect me to say, “Oh, sure. Chuck. I saw him the other day at the tall guy’s club.”?
I don’t have any answers to these questions. I never know where a conversation should go after a comment like this. But I will tell you this much: I really like the idea of a tall person’s club. We will have high doorways and extra long couches for when we want to take naps. We will give each other extra-high fives and laugh dismissively at guys who are shorter than five-eight.
And maybe, with enough thought, we’ll figure out what to say the next time someone tells us their podiatrist is six-nine.

No comments: