Saturday, March 18, 2006

An open letter to Bill Cosby

Re: Your sense of humor.

Mr. Cosby, you are undoubtedly a funny man. Your comedy routines about parenting and ... um ... Jell-o, I guess ... will go down as some of the greatest of all time. You have made great contributions to the history of television, from Fat Albert and his friends to I-Spy to young kids being coached to say slightly inappropriate things. Your "Cosby Show" allowed NBC to create the Thursday night Must See TV block that it uses to this day to shove crap like "Joey" or "Will and Grace" down our throats.
Actually, I have mixed feelings about that last one. I can't give you all the blame for "Union Square" or "Four Kings", but I feel like you deserve at least some of it.
Your movie career has been less distinguished, although no less notable. I don't recall hating Ghost Dad, although I admit I was young when I saw it and might not have known any better. In its defense, it appears to have been directed by Sidney Poitier. I'll admit I didn't see that coming when I looked the movie up on IMDB. They call me Mr. Ghost Dad.
I'm not sure I've ever seen Leonard Part 6. but I can't imagine it's as bad as everyone says. If nothing else, it has given us years of hilarious jokes. Seriously, what happened to parts 1-5? It never gets old!
I don't bring all of this up simply as an excuse to practice my linking skills. I bring it up because I'm concerned. When did the sense of humor disappear? When did you lose the ability to take a joke? When did you become the cranky old man yelling at kids like the people behind House of Cosbys to get off of your metaphorical lawn?
Granted, House of Cosbys is a silly little thing. It's sophomoric and stupid and crude. But it's also kind of funny. I mean, at least a little. I mean, seriously: a remote compound filled with superpowered Cosby clones? It's worth a chuckle, at least. And despite what you claim in your Cease and Desist letter it doesn't besmirch your name any more than "The Cosby Mysteries."
Is this really the way you want to be remembered? As the humorless old coot who can't take a joke anymore? As the formerly funny man who is now best known for drugging and assaulting women? Maybe it is, but before you answer I want you to ask yourself one thing, and I want you to consider it carefully: What would Mushmouth do?
I'll leave you with that.
Thank you for your time.
Nathan Hansen

No comments: